Autumn is well underway, and the change of seasons means it’s time to finally say goodbye to your summer skincare routine. Anyone with acne prone or sensitive skin will be well attuned to the fact that colder and wetter weather can wreak havoc on your skin. It can cause breakouts, flakiness overall create a lacklustre tone without the appropriate skincare. The cooler months can also be a good thing for the skin. Less sun exposure and milder weather can help skin stay hydrated longer, but it all boils down to whether you’re using the right products and in the right quantities to match the current season.
So what changes exactly and how do you know the things to be mindful of when it comes to Autumn skincare? We asked Dr. Johanna Ward, ZENii’s Founder, to give us her top five tips for keeping her own skin supple and glowing as the seasons change.
- Turn to higher powered hydration products: Turning on the heating can wreak havoc on your skin so good hydration is absolutely vital during the autumn months. I always recommend using super ingredient hyaluronic acid and layering it with a moisturiser on top so you really keep the hydration benefit of this ingredient directly on your skin. Look for highly absorbable versions containing sodium hyaluronate which penetrate deep into the skin to lock in moisture.The Hyaluronic Booster Serum is my go too.
- Cleansing with some gentle exfoliating acid: In the autumn it’s a good idea to use a gentle acid such as glycolic or salicylic acid to get rid of cellular debris, and to send chemical signals to the deep layer of your skin to rejuvenate and regenerate. Or even better, using a daily wash such as Exfoliating Cleanser which contains 2% Salicylic Acid and 5% Glycolic Acid is a safe way to ensure your skin is staying replenished even in those drizzly months.
- Continue to use a good sun protector: It might feel counterintuitive to use SPF in the colder months but it’s essential. At the end of the day, come rain or shine, we know that UV light damages collagen and the skin at a cellular level, so even if you don’t think there is much risk, continue to use your daily SPF through the autumn to protect your skin. I recommend to patients to use SPF 50 in the summer months and then in the colder seasons use a hydrating daily moisturiser such as Stem Cell Renewal that contains SPF30. This will give you adequate protection in Autumn and also hydrate and reduce free radical damage.
- Take a collagen supplement: I recommend to all my patients over the age of 25 that they start to take a daily collagen supplement with co-ingredient hyaluronic acid for cellular rehydration, collagen and elastin renewal and bio-regeneration from within. Studies have shown that the ideal amount of marine collagen (the most absorbable) is 10,000mg. Our multi award-winning Skin Fusion is a best-seller for great reasons… hundreds of people have noticed incredible results with improved skin firmness, stronger hair and nails and overall feeling less lethargic and more energised. Next month we’re launching an innovative 100% vegan collagen that replicates type 1 collagen called Beauty Glow so watch this space. Both collagens are blended by hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C and other powerful co-ingredients for optimising skin health.
- Re-focus on the use of retinoids and Vitamin A: We know that retinoids are clinically evidenced to support fibroblast production which encourages renewal of collagen and elastin and creates long term skin health. Ensure you build these into your daily skincare routine during the colder months to combat skin dullness and dryness. At night time our skin repairs and restores so using retinoids in a enriching night cream full of other hydrating nutrients is recommended. The Micronutrient Repair Cream is enriched with Pro Vitamin B5, Vitamin C and E as well as Vitamin A for great anti-ageing results.